Sign up for our monthly email!
Proteins act as building blocks for your bones, muscles, skin and blood. They also help in the development of enzymes and hormones, which play key roles in a healthy metabolism. When selecting protein foods, choose ones low in saturated fat and cholesterol. Be sure to eat at least eight ounces of seafood per week, too.
HEALTH BENEFITS OF PROTEIN
- High in B vitamins (keeps cells and nervous system healthy)
- High in vitamin E (protects cells from damage)
- High in zinc (strengthens immune system)
- High in iron (carries oxygen in the blood)
- High in magnesium (helps with bone health)
- Seafood is high in omega-3 fatty acids (helps reduce risk of heart disease)
- Beans (black, kidney, navy, pinto, soy, white)
- Black-eyed peas
- Canned fish (anchovies, sardines, tuna )
- Chickpeas (garbanzo beans)
- Lean meat and poultry
- Nuts (almonds, cashews, peanuts, pecans, pistachios, walnuts)
- Seafood (catfish, cod, halibut, salmon, shrimp, tilapia, trout, tuna)
Find a variety of delicious, nutritious dishes on our recipes page.