Sign up for our monthly email!
1. Heat oil in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat until simmering.
2. Add chopped onion. Sauté until onions are translucent but not browned.
3. Add garlic. Allow to cook until fragrant, about 2 minutes. Do not brown.
4. Add grain and cook until grains are dry or slightly browned.
5. Add water or stock and bring to a boil.
6. Reduce heat to low.
7. Stir in salt and pepper. Place a lid over the pot.
8. Allow to cook on low for the appropriate amount of time, depending on grain (see chart on recipe card download) or until grains are tender and liquid is absorbed. If liquid is not absorbed, replace lid and cook until it is. Stir occasionally.
9. Remove from heat and allow to rest with the lid on for 5 more minutes.
10. Fluff grain with a fork and serve.
Instead of cranberries, use other dried fruit like cherries, apricots or raisins.
TOOLS & EQUIPMENT
Grater/zester, knife, measuring spoons, measuring cups, medium bowl, plastic wrap, blender or whisk