1. Preheat oven to 375°F. Spray 18 muffin cups with non-stick cooking spray or line muffin cups with cupcake liners.
2. Stir orange juice, oil and apple sauce together in small bowl.
3. Stir flour, brown sugar, cinnamon, ginger, cloves, baking powder, baking soda and salt together in a large mixing bowl.
4. Use a spoon to form a hole in the center of dry ingredients, then pour in liquid mixture. Stir just until wet and dry ingredients are fully mixed.
5. Fold in cranberries, carrots and nuts (if using).
6. Divide the batter among the muffin cups.
7. Bake the muffins for about 25 minutes, or until the tops spring back when lightly pressed on with a finger.
8. Transfer muffin tin to cooling rack and allow muffins to cool before removing from tin.
TOOLS AND EQUIPMENT
Mixing bowl, measuring spoons and cups, spoon/spatula, grater, muffin or loaf pan
Experiment with different flours or try gluten-free baking mix. Try adding dried fruits like raisins, cranberries or apricots instead of cranberries. Substitute shredded zucchini or yellow squash for carrots. Try mashed ripe banana instead of applesauce.