1. In a medium pot, heat oil over medium-high heat until shimmering.
2. Add onions, stir and cook until translucent.
3. Add garlic, stir and cook 1-2 minutes or until fragrant but not browned.
4. Add celery and carrots, stir and cook 4-6 minutes.
5. Add beans, tomatoes, root vegetables, dried herbs, black pepper and stock or water. Then add just enough water to cover all ingredients.
6. Simmer soup covered for 20-30 minutes or until root vegetables are tender.
7. Stir in greens and squash. Simmer until tender and warmed though, about 10 minutes.
Add frozen veggies just before serving. Try soup with whole grain pasta, brown rice or bulgur wheat. Try beans such as: northern, navy, cannellini, chickpeas, black eyed peas, black beans, etc. Add or sub veggies such as: corn, hominy, lima beans, bell peppers, green beans, fennel, green peas, green onion, winter squash, okra, leeks or mushrooms.
TOOLS & EQUIPMENT
Knife, pot, large spoon