Sign up for our monthly email!
1. Fill medium bowl with ice water. Set aside.
2. Place large skillet or pot on stove and insert a steaming basket.
3. Add 1 cup of water and bring to a boil over high heat.
4. Add asparagus to steaming basket. Cover and steam until asparagus is easily pierced with a knife, cooking about
3 to 5 minutes. Do not overcook. The asparagus should be slightly flexible but bright green.
5. Using tongs or a fork, immediately plunge asparagus into ice water to stop the cooking process.
6. At this point, the asparagus can be served cold with a simple vinaigrette or stored in a zip top bag or other storage container in the refrigerator for 2-3 days.
TOOLS & EQUIPMENT
Medium bowl, large skillet or pot, steaming basket, knife and/or peeler, tongs or fork, measuring spoons
Use a vegetable peeler to remove any tough ends to make asparagus more tender. If storing, plan to microwave or sauté asparagus just until heated through for serving.