1. Drain liquid from tofu, pat tofu with paper towels and place in a small mixing bowl. Mash with a fork until well crumbled. Set aside.
2. Pour chipotles onto a cutting board and chop well. (Alternatively, mash in a bowl with a fork). Set aside.
3. Heat a large soup pot or Dutch oven over medium heat. Add canola oil and heat until shimmering. Add onion and garlic and sauté until onions are wilted and mixture is fragrant.
4. Add tofu, lentils, canned tomatoes and paste, herbs and spices, and water or stock. Bring mixture to a bubble, turn heat to low, cover with a lid and allow to cook 25-30 minutes or until lentils are soft. If mixture is too thin, simmer uncovered until mixture becomes desired thickness.
5. Stir in corn and heat through.
6. Serve tinga as you would a bowl of chili or as a taco or burrito. Top with Mexican-style crema or sour cream and sliced avocado.
Try topping with salsa, shredded lettuce, guacamole, or fresh lime juice.
TOOLS & EQUIPMENT
Paper towels, mixing bowl, fork, cutting board, knife, large soup pot or Dutch oven