2 cans chickpeas or other beans of choice (cannellini, kidney, Northern, etc.), drained and rinsed
2 28-ounce cans crushed, pureed or petite diced tomatoes
1 tablespoon Italian herb blend seasoning
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
1 16-ounce package frozen or fresh spinach, kale or other hearty green
1. Preheat oven to 375˚F and spray a 9×13 baking dish with non-stick cooking spray.
2. Cook pasta 2 minutes less than package directions. Immediately rinse with cold water, drain well and set aside. Gluten-free pasta may be sticky, so don’t let it sit long.
3. Pour cooked pasta into greased baking dish.
4. Add beans, tomatoes, herbs, salt, pepper, nutritional yeast and greens. Gently stir with a fork until roughly mixed.
5. Bake for about 30 minutes or until sauce bubbles around edges.
Try adding lentils and/or minced mushrooms to the pan to mimic ground beef. Instead of pasta, try brown rice, barley, oat, spelt, quinoa, lentil or chickpeas. Add bell peppers, zucchini or yellow squash, eggplant or other favorite vegetables to enhance the flavor.