Sign up for our monthly email!
Prevent the spread of bacteria with these food storage safety tips:
- Keep your refrigerator set to 40°F or below, and your freezer at 0°
- Store perishable fruits and vegetables in a clean refrigerator.
- Refrigerate all produce that is purchased, pre-cut or peeled to maintain both quality and safety.
- Marinate foods in the refrigerator.
- Promptly refrigerate or freeze leftovers. Consume them within 3-4 days or throw them out.
- Divide large amounts of leftovers into small, shallow dishes with covers so they can cool quickly in the refrigerator.
- Don’t over-pack your refrigerator. The cool air must flow freely to keep food safe.
- Freeze or cook raw ground meat, poultry or fish within 1-2 days.
- Freeze or cook fresh meat like steaks or roasts within 3-5 days.
- When thawing food, either:
- Place it in the refrigerator to thaw out.
- Place it under cold, running water to thaw out.
- Use in the microwave according to the directions for the food.
- NEVER thaw it out by simply taking it out of the fridge.
Click the links below to find other important food safety tips to protect you and your family.