It is recommended that adults get a total of 150 minutes of physical activity throughout their week. By finding ways to get at least 30 minutes of moderate, aerobic activity five days a week, you can make a big difference in your health.
If you aren’t typically physically active, start slow to reduce risk of a cardiac event. You can even break up your physical activity into smaller, more manageable sessions. Instead of moving for 30 minutes straight, separate your activities into three 10-minute sets.
HEALTH BENEFITS OF PHYSICAL ACTIVITY
- Helps control weight
- Helps you sleep better
- Improved mental health and mood
- Improved ability to do daily activities
- Stronger bones and muscles
- Stronger immune system
- Increased chances of living longer
- Reduced risk of heart disease, type 2 diabetes, stroke, high blood pressure, high cholesterol and some cancers
It’s always a good time to resolve to eat better, be more active, and lose weight. For the more than 2 out of 3 Americans who are either overweight or obese, there’s now a free, research-based tool to help you reach your goals: the Shape Your Future Health Quiz.