WANT EVEN MORE HEALTHY IDEAS FROM SHAPE YOUR FUTURE?
Summer is finally here, which means the Fourth of July is right around the corner — a day full of barbequing, sparklers and making memories! Here are 4 healthy tips to make sure you have a blast with your family before you settle in to watch the fireworks.
1. Start the morning with some movement.
Who says you can’t start holidays off on the right foot by getting a little movement in? You’ll have more energy for the rest of the day and feel encouraged to make healthier choices. Here are a few suggestions to get your heart rate up before the cookout:
- Go for a family walk around the neighborhood.
- Visit a local park.
- See if there are any holiday 5Ks in your area.
- Challenge friends and neighbors to some fun lawn games.
- Go for an early morning hike.
2. Plan an activity for your whole family.
It can be so easy to get swept up in the chaos of holidays. Here are a few ways to get active and make lifelong memories.
- Plan a picnic at a nearby park with healthy snacks.
- If it’s windy out, fly a kite.
- Cool off at your local splash pad. Find one near you with our locator!
- Make your own healthy popsicles.
- Play a game of touch football or freeze tag.
3. Have some activities ready for the kids.
Keep the kids entertained while you set up for your own evening activities. Whether they’re taking a break from the sun or enjoying the summer heat, here are a few suggestions:
- Break out the sprinkler for a really cool
- Give them red, white and blue sidewalk chalk to decorate the driveway.
- Bring them inside for a game of hide and seek.
- Download this 4th of July handout for coloring fun.
- Print out this Summer BBQ activity sheet.
4. Host a backyard cookout.
Cookouts are an Independence Day tradition, and you’re sure to be the coolest house on the block with these healthy and delicious recipes:
Whether you’re the Grill Master of the Backyard or the Hostess with the Mostest, these tips are a surefire way to make some memories and have a boomin’ Fourth. No matter how you choose to spend your holiday, have a safe, happy and healthy Independence Day!